Monday, August 23, 2010

Contentment

Contentment is a hard thing for me. Partially, because I'm so used to the feeling of discontent that when I am content I almost don't know what to do with myself. But lately, I've been learning more about what contentment is and what contentment isn't. Let's start with what it isn't. Contentment isn't:

a) having life go exactly as you'd like it
b) the state of feeling happy and excited all the time
c) a feeling at all
d) eternal optimism

Contentment is:
a) a choice that I make or don't make on a daily basis
b) something that comes from pursuing the Lord more than pursuing my own needs

I guess I tend to get caught up in this ridiculous cycle: if I were in another country, traveling the world, I would be content or if I was going to college in another place I would be content. Or if I just weren't still here! If I had a job, if I quit my job, if I had a better job, if I could spend my time painting or writing, if I was in a relationship, if I just didn't have to deal with boys period, if I was busier, if I wasn't so busy...do you see where this is going? No matter where I am, there will always be something about my life that isn't perfect or even satisfactory. I can spend my time whining about these things, or look beyond them and choose to have a good attitude.
Paul said that he had learned the secret of being content in any and every situation. And I think the difference between Paul and me is that I focus on the temporal and Paul focused on the eternal. His focus was heavenward, whereas I keep looking at my circumstance. Hmm...maybe it's time that I took a little hint from this apostle. Because honestly, I really don't want to spend my entire life whining about what's wrong with it. That sounds like fun. I'd rather focus on the things that are good. And the one thing that never changes: the Lord. No matter where I am, He will always be the same. He will always be good. Keeping my eyes on Him will radically change my perspective and remind me that this world is only for awhile. The best is yet to come.
So, here's to looking beyond my circumstances. And choosing contentment.

No comments: