Thursday, May 24, 2012

Culture Shock...and I haven't even left yet!

Currently, I am experiencing pre-travel culture shock.

My roommate and I, who were house-sitting for five months, are in the process of moving. However, rather than move for three months with her before going to Kosovo, I made the decision to move home. For many reasons this choice seemed logical: three months worth of saving--no rent, no utilities, mooching off of their food; a place to store my stuff when I leave (without having to move it again); and you know, that whole family bonding thing. Or something.

Alarm Clock Screaming at man in bedWell, I've been here about two days, my bed is situated--everything else is in disarray. But I think the thing that is in the greatest disarray is my personal space alarm. You see, I have this little buzzer...when I don't get enough personal space it starts going off. Then it gets louder and louder and louder until it's practically screaming in my ear.

Also, I have a confession. I have a bedtime. My bedtime is 10:00 and my wake up time is 6:00. I value my sleep. My family, on the other hand...
Last night, I got home after 10:00 and had every intention of whizzing off to bed. However, things went a little different than planned.

While searching for my pajamas:
Christina: Amy get out of my room!
Me: Oh, let her come in.
Christina: Amy, get out!
Me: Be nice. Would you like me to wrestle you and make you sleep outside?
Amy: Yes! Yes! Wrestle Christina to the floor and make her sleep in my room so I can sleep with you?

I exit, Amy following, murmuring, "Please! Please!"
I walk to my other sister's room, still in search of pajamas. Danielle is peacefully reading on her bed.

Josiah enters, determined to bring her joy.

Danielle: Josiah, get out of my room!
Josiah: Hey Danielle! Guess what? I invented this new game called hashtag. We play it with bottle caps. It's great! What are hashtags anyways?
Danielle: Go away!
Josiah: Aww, Danielle! Gimme a hug! I'll show you how to play.
Danielle: I will bite you!
I exit, giving up the search for my pajamas and go straight to brushing my teeth. I grab the nearest toothpaste, reciting my mantra "It's only three months, it's only three months, it's only three months..." I finally feel myself begin to calm, and a smile return to my face when...

Michaela: Hey! Is that my toothpaste? Are you the one who keeps stealing it?!
She snatches it out of my hand and whisks it away, without giving me time to answer.
Michaela: I'm hiding this!
I feel the panic rising as the whirling vortex of noise sucks me in. Over and over I hear

 "Wrestle Chrissy!"
"Hashtags. That's a funny word."
 "I will beat you over the head with this book."
"Go away!"
 "My toothpaste."


Sanity. Lord, help me.

P.S. Hope you enjoyed a little humor while reading this and there will come a post soon about the genuine POSITIVES of moving home for the summer, which there are many. I am learning to appreciate the quirks of my family and the time to invest in them as I am once again thrown into the mix, while living there.

  

1 comment:

Teri Greenlee said...

where's the LIKE button??