Saturday, February 23, 2013

Disillusionment and Jesus


I confess, I am currently feeling this little thing called "disillusionment." It's what happens when life looks messier and harder and grittier than you expect. It's what happens when really bad things happen to really good people or when those you trusted make terrible choices or when you see another picture of a child starving in Africa or see that a bombing's happened somewhere new or hear on the news about a mother killing her kids or ______________. You fill in the blank.

I received some hard news this week. And my initial reaction was to throw up my hands and say, "God, why?" This morning, I found myself at the foot of the cross, a place that I haven't really been in a while. I came before the Lord in honesty, in humility, and in hurt. No facades, no pretentions, just me and Jesus. During that time of worship, I rememberd why it is that I follow Jesus--the cross, the sacrifice, the sweet taste of forgiveness. I found myself caught up in His mercy and forgiveness and healing. While the world is tumultuous and unstable, He is faithful and His love never fails. And no matter what I feel, no matter what life looks like, no matter what happens, my God is the same, yesterday, today, and forever. When we come to Him, exactly as we are, exactly where we are, He gives us exactly what we need for the moment we're in.

Disillusionment happens when we put our hope in people, things, or circumstances. But all of those are subject to change. The only cure for disillusionment is to put our complete hope in God, for He will never lead us astray or disappoint. I leave you with the words of a beautiful, poignant song:

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace

That's advice I'm choosing to take.

1 comment:

Megan Marie said...

Beautifully put... Thank you I really needed to hear this today.. Praying for you Sweetie! :)