Monday, May 31, 2010

Barnes and Noble Bonding

Confession: I might possibly have gone to Barnes and Noble to do the massive pile of homework I have, and study for finals...and spent five and a half hours talking to Jenna instead. Okay, it wasn't simply talking. It was very deep heart-to-heart conversation, which ended up in both of us crying multiple times about our problems, self-esteem issues, and relationships with the Lord. We would of course decide to have this conversation in the middle of the cafe at Barnes and Noble right before finals. Go figure. However, it was a very healing conversation for both of us...all five and a half hours of it.
At one point, Jenna looked at me and said, "Wow. I feel as if a hundred pounds just lifted off my shoulders and went on to you." :-) Likewise, I always love talking to Jenna about things. She has the best advice. Even when she doesn't give any advice, her very presence is wisdom-inspiring. It's amazing how healing conversations can be. When there's so much junk pent up in your heart just ready to explode, it's good to talk it over with someone. And it was wonderful to realize that Jenna is struggling just as much as I am. It made me feel a lot less pathetic. Not that I'm glad that Jenna's life is hard, it's just nice to know that she's human too.
Sometimes, I think that's just it. It's not that are problems get smaller, or that we're any closer to answers, it's that we're not all alone anymore; we're not facing our mountains by ourselves. We might still be broken and pathetic, but at least we're broken, hurting, and pathetic together. I think that's why the Bible talks so much about friendship.
This leads me to my next confession: I definitely think relationships are WAY more important than homework.

No comments: