Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Shut up and Rest

Last night I drove home from work and vented my frustrations to the Lord. Why does He always put me in situations where my character has to be tested? Really, couldn't He just give me what I want when I want it for once? I realize how egotistical and selfish that last statement sounds...that probably has to something to do with the state of my heart. As I complained that He was taking too long, He ever so simply, in His sweet, wonderful way said, "Praise." As much as I didn't want to (I've been learned that arguing is futile), I consented. Ever so surely, I was brought back to a place of humility and reminded that a) God is still God, b) He does love me c) He does know what He's doing d) all He's called me to do right now is rest.
Be still.
Rest.
Wait.
Shhh...don't speak. Just rest.
For someone who is pro at freaking out at things she shouldn't freak out about, this is somewhat difficult. But slowly and surely, I'm learning to be still and rest.
2 Chronicles 20:17 "You do not have to fight this battle. Position yourselves, stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord."
If I'm constantly trying to figure it out or make it happen on my own, I'll never be able to see what God's doing or the way He's going to show up. The only way I can is if I shut up and rest.
Isaiah 30:15 "This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says: “In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it."
The Israelites simply didn't get it. And sometimes I don't really either. I don't want it to be said of me, "I offered you all this, 'but you would have none of it.'" I like the "and you will see the salvation of the Lord" verse better. Which version I get to experience is kind of up to me, though, isn't it?
So, I think I'm going to listen this time. I guess that means I'd better stop writing, shut up, and rest.

2 comments:

Cary Greenlee said...

Thanks so much for your honesty and openness in these writings. I have enjoyed and been blessed by them. I pray for you and I also pray that you keep sharing.

Katelyn said...

Awww, thanks! That means a lot! :-)