Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Every Time



Last night, my mom said something to me that totally convicted me. She said, “I read your blog, that post from a long time ago about working for the Lord, when you only got $7 in tips.” She commended me for my attitude. And I wanted to change the topic, quickly. The fact is, I have not had that attitude lately, at all. In fact, I’ve had a very poor attitude. I’ve whined and grumbled and complained about making a pathetic amount of tips and have been highly unmotivated to work or work well. Everything that the Lord showed me that one evening went in one ear and out the other. And I give the Israelites a hard time about their forgetfulness…
Colossians 3:23-24 says:
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. 

The verse that stuck out to me, “because you know you will receive an inheritance from the Lord." That means that He's in charge of making sure that I get what I need for the amount of work I do. I may, on average, not make enough tips to buy myself a cup of coffee, but that is not reason enough for me to not do a good job. I am working for God, not for men. God has called me to work “as unto the Lord.” He is my boss. I’m not working for a paycheck or to impress my manager, I am working for the Lord. This means that I look to GOD to provide for me, not my job. And He’ll provide exactly what I need when I need it. So when I don’t make much in tips, I am basically saying that He’s not providing enough.

The fact is, how much I make is pretty irrelevant. What matters is the state of my heart. The point is that I serve the Lord by giving my best and He provides exactly how much I need.
Every. Single. Time.  

2 comments:

A Gem or Otherwise said...

Wow. I needed this. Thanks. :-)

~Ruby

Stephanie Ann said...

Ahh. Such perfect timing to read this. Thanks for sharing. We should not forget what God teaches us.. :)