Saturday, March 26, 2011

Why Cars are Character Building

So, I was thinking tonight about all of the things that my cars have taught me over the years. And I want to encourage all parents of new drivers--cars are highly character building. Here are some of the invaluable lessons that I've learned, about driving, cars...and life:

 -Wearing flip-flops over your ballet tights is NOT a good idea. Even if you're just driving down the street.

-Only shift when the car is stopped.

-You will be held responsible for all minors in your car who are not wearing seat belts. Even if you have only had your license for six months.

-Whatever the number of seats your car has, you can double that number for fitting people in. (My lawyers advise me, however, that it is not recommended that you try this at home). 

-The above situation is made incredibly more entertaining in a stick shift. With a newly permitted driver behind the wheel.

-It is not generally a wise practice to schedule a consultation with your insurance agent about lowering your premiums right before rear ending someone. 

-When your dad  tells you that you should check the oil soon...don't wait three weeks to do so.

-When driving with a nightstand in your back seat, take corners slowly. 

-When the driver's manual tells you to walk around your car and look for obstacles before backing up, it actually is a good idea. Especially when you're driving a pick up truck with a 4-wheeler in back. 

Yes, the cars that I've had have taught me many lessons. I've also learned that some things simply shouldn't be taken for granted, such as: 
-Heating
-Air conditioning
-Working windshield wipers
-Blinkers
-Door handles
-Doors that open
-Window that roll up.
-Windows that roll down.
-Windows at all...
-A working speedometer
-Snow tires
-Visors
-Cars that start without warming up for 10 minutes
-Cars that start without being jumped
-Cars that start at all
-Cars that go in reverse. 

You see, there are endless things that a car can teach you to be grateful for. One final lesson: 

Sometimes in life, it's better to just move forward and not spend too much time looking back. Philippians 4:13-14 "But one thing I do: forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

It's good advice. Especially when you drive a car without reverse. 

1 comment:

Dana said...

It is also good advice to get a second opinion when your mechanic tells you the repairs will cost $2,100. If you ask around you may find an even better mechanic who will do it for $500.

In college, I had some friends who took a road trip from West Texas to Georgia in a car without a reverse. I watched them push the car out of the driveway before they headed off on their journey. That image stayed with me the entire time they were gone.

I like the look of your blog!