Sunday, March 6, 2011

Late Night Contemplations

You know that feeling when there's so much on your mind that you can't think straight? You can't decide if you feel overwhelmed, stressed, tired, lonely, happy, angry, depressed, unsure, or some other emotion you can't currently think of. Yeah, me too. It's moments like these when God often seems distant and far off. That's when I wonder, "God, does any of this matter to You? Do I matter to You? Really? Why am I even here?" I have, more times than I can count, screamed inwardly at Him these and other questions and demanded answers. Each time, He'll answer...it's just whether or not I will take the time to hear it.


A friend once prayed for me that I would be able to ask God these questions not simply in the heat of my frustration with an accusatory "prove it" attitude, but with a quiet spirit, while sitting at His feet. When she said that, I imagined a little girl crawling up on her daddy's lap with a sense of wonder and excitement. "Daddy," she says, "Do you love me?" "Am I beautiful?""Am I a princess?" "How much do you love me?" She knows the answers. She knows what he's going to say. But she wants to hear it. She wants to hear him say it.

And when she asks those questions, he loves answering them.

So tonight, I'm not going to do the whole temper tantrum scream at the sky thing. Oh, I'll ask the hard questions that have been plaguing my heart. But first, I'm going to crawl up onto my Daddy's lap, snuggle in close, and say, "Daddy, tell me again. How much do you love me?"
I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness.  -Jeremiah 31:3 
See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! -1 John 3:1
...how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ...this love that surpasses knowledge. -Ephesians 3:18-19

No comments: