Monday, May 30, 2011

Play Inspirations

So--in a brief respite from my homework--I've decided that I am going to share with you a few inspirational songs. Now, these aren't necessarily spiritually inspirational songs. Rather, these are the songs that I feel like capture some of the characters from my play. I will be posting songs about my four main characters of the play: HOSEA, MER, CHARLES, and SUZANNE. For those of you who don't know, this play is set in the 1920s and is about a pastor, Hosea, and his wife, Mer, who has blemished past. She doesn't fit in with the church she's a part of and no one will let her forget her past. Add to that, family tensions, a busy husband, and an old fling...well, let's just say it's a mess in the making.

Therefore, this first song is a Mer song. Talented and beautiful, she is torn between her commitment to her husband and the charming old friend who has suddenly walked back into her life. A friend of mine showed me this song and I fell in love with it (and the group who performs it). I felt it perfectly captured the heart of Mer. Not gonna lie...I wish I wrote it.

No comments: