Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Extravagant God

I feel like God has been trying to reshape my perception of Him. In fact, I think He's been trying to rip apart the little "box" I had Him in. Here I thought that my picture of God was "out of the box," but I guess I was wrong. As usual.
Lately, God has been telling me to dream. Not just dream, but to dream big, to dream extravagantly, and to dream impractically. Now, this whole "impractical" thing, hasn't gone over too well with me.
Wa-ai-ait...impractical? No, not me. I'm only going to go for what "makes sense" and fits the logical box. Why do you think I chose nursing? It's practical. It fits the mission field "box." It's a useful skill to have...it makes sense.
So, to have someone tell me to dream impractically...that's not so comfortable. It's no longer safe. In fact, it's freaking scary!
Who-ho-hoah!! Wait a second, but aren't You practical God? Right? Don't You do stuff that makes sense???? Like...um...okay...the crossing of the Red Sea, not very practical, building an ark, definitely not practical, walking around Jericho, that didn't make any sense...at all...um...300 Israelites against a bajillion of the enemy...makes no sense whatsoever...a kid fighting a giant, foolish, insane really...okay I give up!!!!!
I guess You're not as practical as I once thought.
But seriously, God, how the heck do my dreams fit together? I don't get it.
It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me to study art and music and theater and dance. I feel called to the mission field. Not the theater world. Besides, there's very few places a person can go as an actor or musician if they don't hit it big time. And I DEFINITELY don't feel called into that world. At all. Not that it's not appealing, I just feel as if You've told me "no." Forever. Enough said about that.
That, and I really don't want to be a teacher, which is about the only other place you can go with my passions.
God, it doesn't make sense!!!!!!! It seems like everyone who pursues their passions in the arts ends up working some lame job because they can't make enough money doing what they love. It's so IMPRACTICAL!!!!!
It doesn't make sense.
What I'm passionate about is so....impractical. It's "just because." There's no real use for it other than enjoyment. Yeah, some of it can be an expression of worship, but I don't see how I can go anywhere with it...yet that's all I think about it.
God, I'm confoozled.
But I trust You.

No comments: